The minutes of the Council of Education, December 17th, 1877, reported an application from Lucindale for the erection of a school, and as 45 children lived within a radius of 2 miles, this was approved. The records of 1879 show that the school was opened in 1878.
The teacher was F.T. Ritchie, there were 44 scholars, only one of whom had previously attended another school. The school fees received from the parents amounted to £5 8/6. In 1880, Lucindale became a public school. Miss Colbain was the first public school teacher appointed to Lucindale.
With a number of significant changes affecting the areas of Curriculum, Staffing and Facilities, 1989 saw the introduction of Senior School general academic courses where students in Years 11 & 12 could complete their education at Lucindale.
School Farm History
Yackadale Farm consists of 19 ha of farming land, sealed workshop facilities and shedding. The farm is dedicated to sustainable agriculture and is fenced according to soil type. The farm boasts a 1.1 hectare Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot Vineyard and has a small winery, know as Yackadale Winery, in the original homestead on the property.
In 1978 the school commenced a two-year Certificate in Agriculture Course, which in 2012 was accredited as nationally recognised Certificate II in Rural Operations. Students are able to commence the Certificate in Year 11 and complete it by the end of their final year. Since its introduction, the course has undergone many changes and improvements. The course has been brought into line with the Education Department curriculum requirements of SACE (South Australian Certificate of Education) whilst retaining the Agricultural Practice (skill development in practical activities) component of the course. This subject module is seen by students as being highly relevant to Agriculture and is thoroughly enjoyed by all students undertaking the two year package.
The development of an Aquaculture facility has seen the school diversify its teaching to keep up with a developing industry in the South East of the State. The Aquaculture facility was developed in 1991 following the provision of funds from the Schools’ Technology Education Program (STEP) and Country Areas Program (CAP). With the farming community looking at diversification, particularly in view of falling commodity prices for cereals and wool/sheep, this innovative development was both timely and popular.
Yakka Logo History
The Yakka Logo History started with the local Lucindale Lions Club working with the school to run a competition for a logo for their club bannerette.
Local student Jan Wilson won the competition with a painting of the Yakka an iconic native plant found around Lucindale. The drawing of the Yakka was taken from the painting and adopted by the Lions Club and the School as their logo.
History of the House Shields
The original house names at Lucindale Area School were George, Gawler. Norrie and Hindmarsh. In 1973 it was decided to reduce the Houses from four to three, due to the uneven distribution of age groups in the four houses.
Field: Colour unknown. Unknown where the name was derived from.
Musgrave: Colour unknown. Name derived from Governor of South Australia, Sir Anthony Musgrave. Governor from 9/06/1873 to 29/01/1877. Lucindale’s name came from Sir Musgrave’s wife, Lady Jeannie Lucinda Musgrave in 1877.
George: Colour red. Name derived from Air Vice Marshall Sir Robert A George, 23/02/1953 to 07/03/1960.
Norrie: Colour yellow. Name derived from Lieutenant General Sir Charles W M Norrie, 19/12/1944 to 19/06/1952.
Gawler: Colour green. Name derived from Lieutenant Colonel George Gawler, 17/10/1838 to 15/05/1841.
Hindmarsh: Colour blue. Name derived from Captain John Hindmarsh, 12/12/1836 to 16/07/1838.
Current day House Names
Wanboo: Colour Red. Name derived from aboriginal word meaning devil-devil.
Bundi: Colour Green. Name derived from aboriginal word meaning fighting with nulla nullas (a war club)
Kiama: Colour yellow. Name derived from aboriginal word meaning an alternative form of Baiame (culture hero or god, creator, literally, Great One.
These names were chosen by Mr Ivan Parslow in 1973.
Reference books used: Aboriginal words of Australia, Aboriginal Place Names.
The above information has been sourced from: Lucindale Area School 125 Years of Education, 2nd October, 2005.
War Cries used since 2005
Wanboo War Cry
“Jindavicki, Jindavicki, wish wah whoo
Woomaracka, Woomarack, at a Wanboo
Rattle into battle teams
Shouting to the sky
Devils, devils flying high”
Bundi War Cry
“Bundi, Bundi is the best
Bundi, Bundi show the rest
Fight for title
Fight for fun
Beware, for Bundi is the one
Kiama War Cry
“Who are. Who are. Who are we
Kiama, Kiama ip bom be
Ip bom. ip bom, ip bom bar,
Kiama, Kiama, best by far